Sunday, December 2, 2012

Wake-Up Call

One of my favorite quotes is "We must accept change as the rule, but not as our ruler." I love this quote because it reminds us that while we can't control that things change, we are in control of the changes we make. My last post was about seeing things differently, about approaching my own life in a different manner. I have tried to do what I committed to do, and have worked hard to make each day a new one and to start fresh each time I wake.

I recieved a post on facebook from an old friend. She is a successful independent writer/graphic designer/just plain awesome person. She had taken the time to create a cover for my novel The Nemesis Diary that I have posted at http://thenemesisdiary.blogspot.com. She has been following it since I started it a little more than 2 years ago, and consistently encourages me to finish it. First of all, I am completely blown away by that gesture. Thanks a million Keary :) Secondly, I have had more motivation to finish than I have had to do anything in a long while.

The reason I bring this up is because of the time of year we are in. It's no secret: I've been called a Scrooge for a lot of my life. I hate Christmas music (especially Mariah Carey), and I've never liked the claymation movies. More than that, I have always had a hard time with what people call 'the Christmas Spirit.' People use this term as a guise to be a good person for 31 days of the year, which I have always been against. There are 365 days in a year; 31 means very little in the grander stage of things. I hate the idea that people only need to be good to each other for 31 days. Call it what you will.

The reason I mention this is because I was completely rocked by what my friend did for me. She didn't have to make that graphic for me; I didn't even ask her to. It was exactly what I would want, don't get me wrong...but it was done completely out of the goodness of her heart. That is the change that I would like to make in my own life; to be able to do things that completely change the landscape of someone's life or mood and not attribute it to the time of year. I want to be able to make a difference through a gesture or thought, because I choose to.

I challenge you to make that kind of difference in someone's life. Today. Now.

Again, I am grateful for the wake-up call. My words could never express the gratitude I feel for a good friend taking the time to reach out to me. It will not go unnoticed.

 If you haven't read Eden by Keary Taylor, I highly recommend it and any of her projects. I hope to be half the author and person she is someday.


Sb

3 comments:

  1. You inspire me to write. I miss you and all the good times we used to have. I want to grow up to be a good writer just like you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Instructor Sabin! ha. That's my name from the LMT blog, which I need to update. Thanks again for this good stuff to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, Steve. I did not expect this, but thank you so much! You really made my day, maybe even my week! And I really do believe in you. You are doing great things, even now, sometimes we just don't realize it. Keep at it Steve! Someday I want a copy of that book in my hands!

    ReplyDelete