Monday, April 15, 2019

Broken Arrow

Warning: This is gonna be a heavy one, folks. This is the way a writer processes...well, everything.

There aren't many things on my mind these days. A lot of the day to day feels trivial and unimportant. As I scroll mindlessly through my social media feeds, most of it just glosses past my inner sight and I can't even remember what it is that I've been reading. As the rains have fallen, it feels as if my soul has gone to a screensaver, a perpetual motion machine that I can't seem to stop watching.

This isn't all that uncommon for me. Bipolar/depression//insomnia make ugly bedfellows, but that is something I have dealt with my whole life. What is different is the feeling that fills in the real moments, the ones when the screensaver is turned off.

As some of you know, I'm losing my teaching career in June. I use the word losing because I am not leaving the school intentionally; it was announced that our company was purchased and that all the western schools would be shutting down. My administrators and coworkers (my 2nd family) will all be losing our livelihoods when summer hits. To boot, some of my beloved students will have their educations left incomplete with few options to finish other than transferring. Our staff and students are doing what we can, but it's a raw deal to say the least for all of us involved.

Processing the thought of not teaching anymore has been devastating. I'm still not there. We are talking about the last twelve years of my life learning, practicing, developing, mastering, and falling in love with what I went to school to do. I have poured my life into those walls, spilling literal drops of my own blood (due to an unfortunate whiteboard mishap), crying more tears over successes and failures, over personal trauma and professional anxieties, and I have left everything I have in those classrooms.

I have seen hundreds of students during my time as a Teaching Assistant and as an Instructor. I have had sleepless nights and restless days. I have met some of the most amazing people, some of which have become my dearest friends.

I have taught consecutive days of 13+ hours and worked an insane schedule. I have learned techniques and modalities that may have been teaching a goldfish to climb a damn tree and still found a way to enjoy it. I have studied my ass off to make sure I knew how to answer the student in the back with the piercing questions that I hadn't thought until the query was posited. I have missed reunions, weddings, funerals, birthdays, bedtimes, and all of the other cliches.

And I have LOVED it. And in two months, it will all be ashes, a memory. In a few years, few will remember what happened in those halls. For someone who cherishes legacy the way that I do, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

I always thought when I left the school, it would be on my terms. It would be because I knew that my work was done, that I was satisfied. I have given

My heart is broken. I don't know how else to put it. I have cried more in the last week than I have in the last decade combined. I have seen the light, the fire in my students eyes extinguish, and I know that they see it in mine. Grief and despair are ripping my soul into pieces, and I feel like I am burying myself alive.

And still it's somehow worse, seeing what it is doing to my second family; the faculty and my students.

This is the part where many say "When one door closes, another opens" and "Maybe this is to set you up for something better." Great sentiments, but they don't float right now. I appreciate the intent. However, the thought that keeps coming back to me is that no opportunity will truly fill the void that will be left. It feels like a book that is ending without the last few chapters.

I get it. There are other schools and other places I can teach or work, and I'm well aware of all of that. I'm a talented dude and I know how to put my head down and grind.

The thing is, I'm not really worried about the financial/employment side of things. I'm not stressed about picking up more clients and filling in the holes with writing/music/continuing education/whatever. That was all part of the eventual plan anyway.

It's hard to truly put into characters how I feel about all of this. I'll say it this way: I am good at a lot of things in my life. There are very few that I can say I am great at. I am a great teacher. I love teaching. But the thing I love the most was that I was teaching the same thing that changed me as a person and changed my life into something I am proud of.

I teach people more than just bodywork. I teach them to embrace their passion, to chase the things that set them on fire, and to never take no for an answer. I teach them to prove everybody wrong who doubts them, and to love what they do and why they do it. I teach them the same things that my mentors taught me, with a little style, sarcasm, and a badass hairstyle that has changed more times over the last 12 years that I've lost count. I try to show them that there is a place in this world for everyone if you are bold enough to fight for it.

So, as these tears run down my face, I leave this promise: I am going to give everything I have left to the next 2 months. I will pour all of my anger, my grief, and my passion for what I do into every class until Judgment Day. I will do my best to make my mentors proud, and to give my students the best of what I can do. To make sure that what I have sacrificed so much for over the last decade meant something.

I'm going to be ok. I know that. But it's like the ultimate breakup. Like a death in the family, even. I will move on to something new and do what I have to do. But tonight, I mourn. The tunnel is dark, but I will find my way out. I don't need a light at the end; my fire will burn bright enough.

I would be remiss to leave this without a little gratitude. Thank you to my family and friends who reached out, for your kind and supportive words. They mean the world, even if you spoke/texted them without a response. I will find my way through; thank you for your support. There isn't much anyone can do, save referring a client or two or coming to get a session or even a word or two of encouragement now and then. Any help is appreciated, but we will find our way through.

My wife Keisha has been incredible. I think she is the only one who knows just how much of myself I give to my work. Thanks to my sweet daughter, who does everything a four year old can (including bringing me her teddy bear and blanket) to remove the sting of her daddy's pain. Thanks to my little boy, who is the sweetest and naughtiest little destroyer I've ever seen, but always brings a smile to my face with those big brown eyes and crooked smile (just like mine).

Thank you to everyone who has touched my life over the last 12 years. Alisha Sabin, Nicolle Buchanan, Char (K) Olenik, Jake Jarman, Devin Mitchell, Katy Spencer, Eric Jemison, Heidi Pepinos, Piikea McVey, Jeannette Green, Ronda Tracy, Kristie Kearl, Tanika and Caleb Larsen, Dexter Nye, Cori Halterman, Jessie Tucker, Heather Johnson, Meggie Moe; every single one of you mean the absolute world to me. It was an honor to learn from and work with you.

Jennifer Jones, Melanie Tomco, Cherie Julander, Taylor Boone, Gio Rodriguez, Julianna Boulter, Catherine Bennett, Amber Jensen, Scott Davis, Taylor Lamont, MaKenna Turner, Nicole Wilkey, Crystal Pehrson,  Mckenzie Robinson, Don Liufau, Andrea Alleman, Clairise Casper, Erin Price, Cassie Webb, Nicole Bell, Emma Raynor, Nana Silva,  Emily Powell, Alysia Byington, and anyone I missed (I am so sorry if I did), I love all of you so much. Thank you for being a part of this incredible journey.

Those names are forever engraved on my soul. I can't even begin to list names of my students and colleagues, but I love all of you so much. Here's to us. I will make you proud, one way or another.

I usually end my graduation speeches with a quote from my favorite book series by Terry Goodkind: "Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Now it's my turn.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, I am crying reading this. You are so amazing and I hate that this is happening. I am in shock. My prayers are with you and everyone at UCMT. It will always be UCMT. I love you my friend.
    Jennifer Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I teach people more than just bodywork. I teach them to embrace their passion, to chase the things that set them on fire, and to never take no for an answer. I teach them to prove everybody wrong who doubts them, and to love what they do and why they do it. I teach them the same things that my mentors taught me, with a little style, sarcasm, and a badass hairstyle that has changed more times over the last 12 years that I've lost count. I try to show them that there is a place in this world for everyone if you are bold enough to fight for it.”

    Steve, you changed my life! I came to school with so much fear and trepidation, I doubted myself, my abilities, and if anyone would want to even touch me. If you had asked me on the first day that we met, if I loved myself? The answer would have been an unequivocal “No!”

    You taught me so much more than massage! You taught me that I was worth loving, that I had value and a love and energy that I could share not only with my clients but with the world! In seven and a half months you showed me that I could love myself and that I could be anything I wanted to be, that there was no limit to my dreams! I will always hold a special place in my heart for you, Weston, Katy, Pi’ikaia, Ronda, Eric, Hiedi, Jennifer, and Andria!

    I always say that 2012-13 was the year I found Joy!

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete